How to book your holiday at Chandler’s Cottage
You can book Chandler’s Cottage directly with me, Jo Cunningham. If there’s anything you need to know to help you decide if it’s a good fit for your holiday please feel free to contact me. I know the house and the Sidmouth area very well and I’m quite happy to answer any questions you have. I promise – no hard selling! I want you to enjoy your stay and if I think the house or the area won’t match what you have in mind then I’ll say so.
Why book direct?
I’m the joint owner of Chandler’s Cottage along with my husband, Peter and we stay there regularly ourselves. We’ve been letting the cottage to holidaymakers since 2012 and I grew up nearby so we’re very familiar with the local area. If there’s anything you want to know about staying at Chandler’s Cottage just speak to me on the phone, send me a text or email me. Then, if you go ahead and book, I’ll handle your booking from start to finish so you’ll just have one point of contact throughout the whole process.
We advertise Chandler’s Cottage on TripAdvisor and Holiday Lettings and you can book through them if you prefer. They handle your payment and we pay them commission. Before your booking is confirmed, all communication goes through their sites. Remember that they also charge you additional booking fees over and above our base prices so booking direct with me will always work out better value for the same dates.
I don’t add any extra charges – no card processing fees, booking fees or any other unexpected extras. The price I quote you will be the price you pay.
Not only that, but I don’t release all our available dates to them so you’ll find more choice of holiday dates on our own web site, particularly if you’re looking for dates more than 3 months away.
In a nutshell – the benefits of booking direct:
- Direct communication with the same person from start to finish.
- Communicate in the way that suits you best – by phone, text, Whatsapp, email or post.
- You can pick my brains with any questions you have about visiting the Sidmouth area, if I don’t know the answer I’ll know where to find it.
- You’ll save over 12% on big listing site prices for the same dates.
- You won’t pay any added booking fees, card processing fees or find any unexpected extras.
- You’ll have more dates to choose from.
How to book Chandler’s Cottage for your holiday
- Contact me, Jo Cunningham, to confirm availability and prices for specific dates.
- I’ll send you a booking form along with our terms and conditions.
- Complete the booking form and send me a deposit of 50% by credit or debit card, bank transfer or sterling cheque. If your stay is less than eight weeks away I ask for full amount.
- When your payment has cleared and I’ve received your booking form I’ll send you confirmation that those dates are yours. I’ll also give you a password so you can access our private guests-only page where you’ll find more information to help you prepare for your stay.
- Eight weeks before your holiday I’ll remind you that the balance payment is due.
- A couple of weeks before your stay I’ll make sure you’ve got the directions, map and details of the key arrangements.
- The cottage is yours from 4pm on arrival day. There’ll be a welcome tray waiting for you so you can settle in with a cup of tea and biscuits, relax and get ready to enjoy Sidmouth!
More about paying for your holiday
Whichever payment method you choose we won’t apply any surcharges, although in some cases your own bank may apply fees, for example, for cross border bank transfers.
Paying by card
If you choose to pay by credit or debit card I’ll email you an invoice with a link to click through to the Stripe secure online payment processing site. Your card details are never shared with me, the owner. Payment is usually almost immediate.
Paying by bank transfer and Transferwise
I can accept direct bank transfers from UK accounts and our account details are on the booking form. If your bank account is outside the UK I recommend Transferwise which is secure, simple to use and offers good exchange rates. If you select this option I’ll send you a link to a Transferwise secure online payment page and, as with card payments, your bank details are never shared with us. Payment is usually within a couple of hours or may take longer for international transactions.
Paying by cheque
I can accept sterling cheques by post as long as there is at least three weeks before your holiday starts. It takes several working days for cheque payments to appear in our account and only then can I confirm your booking.
Please bear in mind
- Chandler’s Cottage is non-smoking.
- We’re sorry, but we do not allow pets.
Remember your holiday insurance
In common with most UK private holiday home owners we do not provide cancellation insurance and we strongly recommend that you arrange your own insurance if you do not already have cover in place.
We accept payment by:
- Credit or debit card
- Direct bank transfer
- Transferwise non-sterling bank transfers
- Sterling cheque
We’re the cottage owners, Jo and Peter Cunningham.
Planning a holiday in Sidmouth?
Pay no booking fees and get the best price when you book direct with me, the cottage owner
Booking your holiday with confidence
We understand that people occasionally have concerns about booking holiday accommodation directly with property owners so please feel free to call me, Jo, to discuss any questions that you might have on 07966 372839
Before you make a booking I recommend that you always make a quick call or send a text to check that you have my correct contact details
In most cases I’ll send you a booking form by post. Although, this may seem a touch old-fashioned, it does mean that we can verify each other’s bricks and mortar addresses. In fact, since 2014, UK Consumer Contracts Regulations require us to provide customers with our geographical location. So when we exchange booking information by post you can be sure you have our correct address. Once the booking is confirmed we’ll communicate in whatever way you prefer – post, email, land line or mobile phone.
Here are some key facts that I trust will provide more reassurance:
Independent grading by The AA
Trade Association membership
I am a member of The Holiday Home Association (formerly the English Association of Self Catering Operators, EASCO) which is the co-ordinated national voice of self-catering operators throughout England. I am committed to their code of practice and share their objectives “to encourage, promote and uphold high standards of self-catering accommodation within the industry throughout England”. You can find out more about The Holiday Home Association and check our listing on their web site which shows our first holiday cottage (Baker’s Cottage):
I have also adopted their standard booking terms and conditions which have been carefully prepared by the HHA Council with the advice of their lawyers:
You also have the reassurance of knowing that, in the highly unlikely event of a complaint that cannot be resolved directly with me, you have the option to use the HHA dispute resolution service, a low-cost independent arbitration scheme.
I have a history of holiday home letting
Holiday Lettings is one of the UK’s leading holiday rental sites, now part of the TripAdvisor family, and I’ve had a listing with them for our first cottage (Baker’s Cottage in Chester) since 2006. You can see how long I’ve been listed with them in the ‘About the owner’ section on our listing page. Note that Holiday Lettings and TripAdvisor both add booking fees on to our prices so booking with them is over 12% more expensive than if you book direct with us.
My husband, Peter, and I bought our cottage in Sidmouth in 2012. It was originally called ‘Sundowner Cottage’ and you can see from the Nominet official UK domain name records that I have owned the domain name since then:
In 2015 we changed the name to Chandler’s Cottage and you can also verify that I own that domain name too through my design business, DesignSpring:
Checking Chandler’s Cottage on the web
You can find Chandler’s Cottage advertised on several holiday listing websites where it has been listed under it’s previous name of ‘Sundowner Cottage’ as well as it’s current name.
- TheAA.com who have inspected the cottage and awarded us 4 stars in their self-catering accommodation grading scheme.
- Chandler’s Cottage on Facebook
- TripAdvisor.co.uk (note that this site adds booking fees of 12% or more to our usual rates).
- Holidaylettings.co.uk (note that this site adds booking fees of 12% or more to our usual rates).
Wherever you find Chandler’s Cottage you should find my contact details are consistent across all our advertising.
Check my details with the Information Commissioner’s Office
I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office because I collect contact details and other personal information from our guests. You can check my details on the official register of data controllers – search for registration number ZA280856.
>> Search the register of data controllers
A stress free stay… every detail thought ofJB from England
The welcome pack was a lovely touch and I have been very impressed with your friendly and efficient communicationsEH from England
We would highly recommend a visit to Sidmouth and stay at Sundowner Cottage and would like to thank Jo and Peter for providing us with an exceptionally clean and comfortable home to stay inJ&EC from England
Everything was done to make the stay enjoyable and easyP&NG from England