The South West Coast Path: Dorset & South Devon is a walkers guide from the Trailblazer series that covers the stretch of the coast path that passes through Sidmouth.
This book is aimed at the keen walkers – those folks who like to spend a whole day out on the path, or even days on end walking. The guide breaks the Coast Path into stretches that are walkable in a day and also includes suggestions for single day walks with public transport links to get you back to your starting point. If you’re just looking for a leisurely stroll then this is far more than you’d need, although it could give you some ideas for exploring short sections of the coast path.
The content seems relatively up to date, although I noticed that it had been published before the cliff fall at Seaton Hole which has resulted in a short diversion inland.
As always, if you’re relying on a particular facility, check on-line or call ahead to make sure that it will be available before you set off. In this part of the country you’ll never be too far from civilization, but unexpected changes to bus timetables, for example, could leave you hanging around for hours or having to walk farther than you’d planned.
What’s in the book?
- 88 detailed walking maps at just under 1:20,000 and 21 town and village maps.
- Itineraries with distances, estimated walking times and places to stop for refreshment on the way.
- The best one day walks with information on public transport to bring you back to your starting point.
- Planning your walks – what to take, weather conditions and safety considerations.
- Background information on the local geology and flora and fauna.