How to book your holiday at Chandler’s Cottage
You can book Chandler’s Cottage directly with us, Jo and Peter Cunningham, the cottage owners. If there’s anything you need to know to help you decide if it’s a good fit for your holiday please feel free to contact us. We know the house and the local area very well and are quite happy to answer any questions you have. We want our guests to enjoy their stay and we promise no hard selling! If we think the house or the area won’t match what you have in mind then we’ll say so.
- Contact me, Jo Cunningham, to confirm availability and prices for specific dates.
- We’ll send you a booking form along with our terms and conditions.
- Complete the booking form and send us a deposit of 50% by credit or debit card, bank transfer or sterling cheque. If your stay is less than eight weeks away we ask for full amount.
- When your payment has cleared and we’ve received your booking form we’ll send you confirmation that those dates are yours. We’ll also give you a password so you can access our private guests-only page where you’ll find more information to help you prepare for your stay.
- Eight weeks before your holiday we’ll remind you that the balance payment is due.
- A couple of weeks before your stay we’ll make sure you’ve got the directions, map and details of the key arrangements.
- The cottage is yours from 4pm on arrival day. There’ll be a welcome tray waiting for you so you can settle in with a cup of tea and biscuits, relax and get ready to enjoy Sidmouth!
More about paying for your holiday
Whichever payment method you choose we won’t apply any surcharges, although in some cases your own bank may apply fees, for example, for cross border bank transfers.
Paying by card
If you choose to pay by credit or debit card we’ll email you an invoice with a link to click through to the Stripe secure online payment processing site. Your card details are never shared with us, the owners, and you have all the usual credit card payment protection. Payment is usually almost immediate.
Paying by bank transfer and Transferwise
We can accept direct bank transfers from UK accounts and our account details are on the booking form. If your bank account is outside the UK we recommend Transferwise which is secure, simple to use and offers good exchange rates. If you select this option we’ll send you a link to a Transferwise secure online payment page and, as with card payments, your bank details are never shared with us. Payment is usually within a couple of hours or may take longer for international transactions.
Paying by cheque
We can accept sterling cheques by post as long as there is at least three weeks before your holiday starts. It takes several working days for cheque payments to appear in our account and only then can we confirm your booking.
Please bear in mind
- Chandler’s Cottage is non-smoking.
- We’re sorry, but we do not allow pets.
In common with most UK private holiday home owners we do not provide cancellation insurance and we strongly recommend that guests arrange their own insurance if they do not already have cover in place.
Booking with confidence
We understand that people occasionally have concerns about booking holiday accommodation directly with property owners so please feel free to call Jo to discuss any questions that you might have on 07966 372839
Before you make a booking we recommend that you always make a quick call or send a text to check that you have our correct contact details
In most cases we’ll send you a booking form by post. Although, this may seem a bit old fashioned, it does mean that we can verify each other’s bricks and mortar addresses. In fact, since 2014, UK Consumer Contracts Regulations require us to provide customers with our geographical location. So when we exchange booking information by post our customers can be sure they have our correct address. Once the booking is confirmed we’ll communicate in whatever way you prefer – post, email, land line or mobile phone.
Here are some key facts that we trust will provide more reassurance:
Trade Association membership
We are members of the English Association of Self Catering Operators (EASCO) which is the co-ordinated national voice of self-catering operators throughout England. We are committed to their code of practice and share their objectives “to encourage, promote and uphold high standards of self-catering accommodation within the industry throughout England”. You can find out more about EASCO and check our listing on their web site which shows our first holiday cottage (Baker’s Cottage):
We have also adopted their standard booking terms and conditions which have been carefully prepared by the EASCO Council with the advice of their lawyers:
You also have the reassurance of knowing that, in the highly unlikely event of a complaint that cannot be resolved directly with us, our guests have the option to use the EASCO dispute resolution service, a low-cost independent arbitration scheme.
We have a history of holiday home letting
Holiday Lettings is one of the UK’s leading holiday rental sites, now part of the TripAdvisor family, and we’ve had a listing with them for our first cottage (Baker’s Cottage in Chester) since 2006. You can see this from our listing on their site. Note that Holiday Lettings and TripAdvisor both add booking fees on to our prices.
We bought our cottage in Sidmouth in 2012. It was originally called ‘Sundowner Cottage’ and you can see from the Nominet official UK domain name records that we have owned the domain name since then:
In 2015 we changed the name to Chandler’s Cottage and you can also verify that we own that domain name too through Jo’s design business, DesignSpring:
Checking Chandler’s Cottage on the web
You can find Chandler’s Cottage advertised on several holiday listing websites where it has been listed under it’s previous name of ‘Sundowner Cottage’ as well as it’s current name.
- TripAdvisor.co.uk (note that this site adds booking fees to our usual rates)
- Holidaylettings.co.uk (note that this site adds booking fees to our usual rates)
- Chandler’s Cottage on Facebook
Wherever you find Chandler’s Cottage you should find our contact details are consistent across all our advertising.
We accept payment by:
- Credit or debit card
- Direct bank transfer
- Transferwise non-sterling bank transfers
- Sterling cheque
We’re the cottage owners, Jo and Peter Cunningham.